...Cleaver that is... and I'm okay with that! With all of her glorious motherly ways.
I want to be the mom who bakes, sews and knits.
The only issue is... I don't really do any of those things well, so here's me sharing with you all my 101's.
Laugh with me or at me, I don't care. I just hope I can evolve during this process!

Thursday 26 April 2012

3KCBWDAY3 - My Knitting Hero






3KCBWDAY3 - My Knitting Hero


Blog about someone in the fibre crafts who truly inspires you. There are not too many guidelines for this, it's really about introducing your readers to someone who they might not know who is an inspiration to you. It might be a family member or friend, a specific designer or writer, indie dyer or another blogger. If you are writing about a knitting designer and you have knitted some of their designs, don't forget to show them off. Remember to get permission from the owner if you wish to use another person's pictures.
Well, I wouldn't even have had a thought about knitting if it weren't for my mom! Knitting since she was about 14 (give or take, she can't exactly remember) she can whip up a garment while I visit. But now she's always too busy visiting with her grandchildren. LOL

But honestly, my mom has always been willing to knit anything I want and make modifications for me. Even the time I found a gorgeous men's wool leaf pattern sweater kit at a show. I was in high school and had my own cash to buy the kit. Any kit I wanted! The style was baggy sweater, pinned jeans. I'm tall but skinny. So this sweater needed to be modified from a men's small to a woman's small. She did it. Without a word. And this is one example of many.
"Mommmm! Can you knit this?"
"Do you think you could make my friend a baby sweater? They're due in June. Sex unknown."
"Mom, I bought this knit pattern book. Can you knit your grandson this sweater in it?"
"Can you knit this but make the sleeves shorter and the neck higher?"

Years of me asking her to knit things up. Never a complaint. Always with a smile. On top of that she was loves knitting stuff she picks out herself for the grand kids. Especially when my little guy came 9.5 weeks early. My mom knit the tiniest little cap and sweater for him!

And when my daughter was born early too, oh the tiny gorgeous girly sweaters. I remember when they were too big for her and now I can't believe that she was ever that tiny!

Then there's the help she is more than willing to give. Skype when I have a problem or even sending me packages of needles she no longer uses. Or random knit help books she finds that I might be able to use. Uhm... yes, please!

So now a gallery of knits of the knitting my mom has done for me and my kids. There's a lot. But I love them all too much to leave any out. Of course all the knits from my youth are buried.


Adorable - If I do say so myself. These really are some of my fave pics. I wish I had a better photo of the striped one. Its still my absolute favourite ever ever ever.




Sweaters for my son. Note the adorable Elephant buttons on the royal blue hooded one.



Baby girl is still wearing the purple top left sweater, but check out those tiny sweaters! I should have took 'scale' photos so you'd understand just how tiny. The sherbert kimono sweater is my fave!





My stuff! Fingerless gloves, Celtic cashmere lined mitts (love), big fluffy warm mitts and a scarf she knit me from a skein I fell in love with years ago. It was super expensive but I could afford it back then!


And now here are some current kid stuff from Nanny.

Snuggled in her sweater and blanket knit by Nanny! (I purchased the hat, it was too cute to pass up)
 
She's still not tall enough but soon soon...

Love the Northern Ontario feel of this one.

One that I had my mom knit up from a book I found.

So there you have it. My mom is My Knitting Hero.
I love you, mom! x0

9 comments:

  1. When I saw the title, I knew your answer before even opening it. She's my knitting (and sewing and baking and quilting...) hero too. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could she not be, right? We just need to move her closer now.

      Delete
  2. What a LOVELY tribute! I'm sure seeing it will make her very happy indeed.
    (My Mom doesn't knit but I'm going to go hug her now anyway.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but now I need her to actually read my blog! LOL
      Hope it was a nice hug.

      Delete
  3. Wow, are you ever blessed to have a Mom who is such an awesome Knitter! Everyone of those things are lovely.,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful knits by your mama! I can definitely see why she is your knitting hero!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my god you have the cutest kids on the planet!! And I have GOT to meet your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mum is a knitting machine! ..your so lucky having someone who knows the "how to" of knitting at hand, I didn't and had to fluff my way through a lot of it ..lol. I now have a circle of friends that I can bug. You've showed such a varied array of samples here and my faves are probably all the colour work ones, but they are ALL so good!.. need I say how cute your littlies are btw :D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make me happy.